Fonterra has had a pat on the back from the independent inquiry into last year's botulism false alarm and recall of dairy products containing whey protein concentrate.
The committee that ran the inquiry has done a nine-month check up on on the dairy co-operative's progress in carrying out its recommendations.
It said Fonterra management had brought a clear focus to rectifying the areas of weakness identified during the inquiry.
Fonterra's follow-up actions have included:
- Completing three-quarters of the audits of its plants, both here and overseas;
- putting a protocol in place for using outside scientific and diagnostic services;
- set up an incident management team;
- created a food safety and quality council; and
- introduced a quality hotline.
The committee will do a final review next year.