The chief executive of English football's Premier League is on shaky ground, but Richard Scudamore has found an apparent ally, following sexist e-mails he sent privately which found their way into the Sunday Mirror newspaper.
Scudamore, who has previously backed equality for women in football, has apologised for comments that were described as "completely unacceptable" by British Sports Minister Helen Grant, and "totally inappropriate" by the Football Association chairman Greg Dyke.
Scudamore admits he made an error of judgement which will not happen again.
The Premier League is coming under mounting pressure to act over the private emails that the 54-year-old sent to friends which were exposed by a female employee.
Meanwhile the chairman of the English Football Association Greg Dyke has described the e-mails as "totally inappropriate", though he says the FA won't be taking disciplinary action as the comments were made privately.
The FA's Inclusion Advisory Board will be discussing the issue at a special meeting next Tuesday night, though the body has said the matter is for the Premier League to deal with.
The situation is expected to be high on the agenda when the audit and remuneration committee, led by Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, next meets.
According to media reports, Scudamore - who has helped make the Premier League the most lucrative in the world since he took over as chief executive in 1999 - earns more than $2.4 million a year.