17 Dec 2014

Cricket match to go ahead despite massacre

6:26 pm on 17 December 2014

The fourth one day cricket match between Pakistan and New Zealand in Abu Dhabi will now go ahead.

It had been in doubt after the bloody massacre in Peshawar.

New Zealand Cricket was waiting for Pakistan to advise if they felt that it was appropriate to continue with the match.

A statement from New Zealand Cricket CEO David White says they're all shocked by the tragic events.

Earlier, Pakistan cricketer Younis Khan said it would be extremely tough for them to go ahead with the one-dayer after the killings in Peshawar.

Pakistan batsmen Younis Khan and Misbah-Ul-Haq, 2011

Pakistan batsmen Younis Khan and Misbah-Ul-Haq, 2011 Photo: PHOTOSPORT

Taliban gunmen broke into a school and opened fire, killing 141 people - 132 of them students.

It's the bloodiest massacre Pakistan has seen for years.

The players are to observe a minute's silence before Wednesday's match and will wear black armbands.

Pakistan team manager Moin Khan says their minds and hearts are with these children.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs

We have regular online commentary of local and international sport.