The All Blacks prop Charlie Faumuina says he'll understand if he isn't selected in the Rugby World Cup squad on Sunday.
Faumuina has spent the past two months recovering from neck surgery and missed the entire Rugby Championship.
He was set to make his return to first class rugby last weekend in the ITM Cup last week, but suffered a concussion during training, forcing him to postpone his return by another week.
The 28-year-old now has just one game against Canterbury on Saturday to prove he's ready to rejoin the All Blacks camp.
Faumuina says he's aware that two months on the sidelines can have a big impact on his game.
"What we do in the scrums, you've got to be conditioned to do that and I haven't been taking part in too many... so if I'm there, that's awesome. But if I'm not I'll understand too. It's bad timing with the neck injury and then the concussion but it is what it is," he said.
Faumuina said he felt in good shape after his time off.
"I'm excited about just getting out there and playing rugby again. Been in and around a lot of (training) camps with the All Blacks and watch what the boys do and then not be able to be there on the weekend is not such a nice feeling, so it will be good to be out there with the boys."
Outside back Charles Piatau is also playing for Auckland this weekend in a final push to make the World Cup squad.
All Blacks coach Steve Hansen will announce the squad at Parliament on Sunday evening.