Next year's Australian V8 Supercar calendar has been released and Auckland will host the penultimate round in 2016.
Next year's ITM 500 Auckland event at Pukekohe Park Raceway will be on November 4th to 6th and will be an integral part of the calendar that features the first-ever championship event in Malaysia and more regular racing throughout the season.
V8 Supercars Chief Executive James Warburton says they're really excited to be returning to Auckland as part of their expanded 2016 calendar.
Warburton says this more compact calendar delivers consistent and regular events throughout the season and expands the championship into Asia in what is a truly exciting development for the sport.
Warburton says the formats for the events would be announced later in the year but would again be focused on delivering the best entertainment for fans across the country.
"Whether they be sprint races or endurances events, we are committed to delivering first class entertainment and unprecedented access for fans to their heroes," he said.
V8 Supercars held a demonstration event in Kuala Lumpur last month and will return to the Malaysian capital next August in the first championship event.
This year's Auckland event is on November 6th to 8th.
Highlights for 2016 include:
- Adelaide to open the season on March 3-6
- Phillip Island Super Sprint moved from November to April to follow the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix
- A debut championship event in Kuala Lumpur from August 12-14
- Shorter breaks between events with a four week winter break
- The Sydney 500 to close the season a week earlier on November 25-27.