New Zealand driver Scott McLaughlin has qualified second fastest for today's Bathurst 1000 at Mount Panorama, with controversial Ford driver David Reynolds in pole position.
McLaughlin called it "the toughest and scariest" lap of his young career after the Volvo driver managed the slippery and wet conditions in the Top-10 Shootout to earn a front row start alongside Reynolds.
The pair, along with third-fastest Jason Bright, took advantage of the early running before further rain fell in the one-lap sprint as the competitors drove with skill in the super-challenging conditions.
Earlier the New Zealanders did well in Saturday's shortened 30-minute qualifying session with Fabian Coulthard and Shane van Gisbergen besting the list.
With championship leader Mark Winterbottom starting back in 14th on the ride, and his Prodrive team-mate and champion, the second-placed Chaz Mostert, now out of Bathurst after his crash in practice, there is opportunity for Reynolds and other contenders to make their mark in the biggest race of the year.
The 161-lap 1000-kilometre race starts at 1pm New Zealand time.
Reynolds dedicates pole to injured mate
"That's for Chaz," Reynolds said after he won his maiden pole on the mountain, dedicating it to his injured team-mate Mostert.
Reynolds appeared doomed to be remembered this week solely for an offensive remark directed at an all-female team at Bathurst, earning him a fine of more than $27,000 fine from V8 Supercars.
Mostert had a rod inserted into his broken leg in Orange Base Hospital on Saturday after his horror qualifying crash 24 hours earlier that also injured three trackside officials.
A picture of Mostert giving a thumbs-up from his hospital bed appeared on Reynolds' iPad as he high-fived in their team garage once pole position was confirmed.
"Yesterday was bad for our team. We have got a driver in the hospital and quite hurt," Reynolds said. "We are all thinking about him at the minute."
The all-female team at the end of Reynolds' ill-advised comment - Renee Gracie and Simona de Silvestro - will start second last on the grid.
Mostert won't be back this season
The surgery was a success but nothing will help Mostert return to V8 Supercars action this year - he's now officially been ruled out for the rest of the season despite a successful leg operation.
His Prodrive Racing team are already on the lookout for a replacement driver in the wake of Mostert's spectacular qualifying crash on Friday.
Mostert broke his leg and wrist in the accident and Prodrive have begun their search for his replacement as they are required to contest the remaining 12 races.
They must also find a co-driver for Cameron Waters for the next round, the Gold Coast 600 enduro, which is within a fortnight.
Waters was Mostert's Bathurst 1000 co-driver.
"There's a significant force onto his femur (leg) there to snap it like that," V8 Supercars medic Carl Le told Fox Sports TV.
"He won't be back in the car this year but I'm pretty confident that he should be right for Clipsal (opening round in Adelaide) next year."
Mostert revealed he feared most for the race officials forced to jump for their lives in the aftermath of his crash.
He blamed sun glare for throwing him off his racing line before his Ford pinballed off walls approaching Forrest's Elbow at up to 170kph.
It was his second shock crash in three years at Mount Panorama.
"My biggest fear was for the safety of the marshals but to hear none were seriously injured is a big relief," Mostert said in a team statement.
"I'm really sorry for the team as it was my error that put us out and also destroyed a car.
"I just lost my racing line due to a bit of sun glare and glanced the wall.
"From there I was a passenger and took some pretty big hits."