The Argentinian tennis player Juan Martin del Potro has confirmed he won't be able to play the ASB Classic in Auckland next month.
His participation had been in doubt after reports surfaced that he was having ongoing injury concerns.
ASB Classic organisers have now confirmed his withdrawl because of fitness.
The former US Open champion will also miss the Australian Open later in January.
A statement from the Auckland organisers said Del Potro confirmed via his management team overnight that he has not had sufficient recovery time and will be withdrawing from the ASB Classic and the Australian Open.
Rumours circulated on Wednesday after a report suggested Del Potro was struggling with a decision over whether to play tournaments early in 2017 due to injury.
Contrary to communications with his team, the Argentinian had had personal doubts over his fitness.
He made those clear to Tournament Director Karl Budge late on Friday night, offering his regrets that he would no longer
be able to play the ASB Classic.
"It is really disappointing for us all. We were very excited to see Juan Martin play in Auckland. It is disappointing for tennis in general that these ongoing issues are keeping him off court. This is why you build depth however. We have our
last six years worth of champions playing the ASB Classic, some of the most exciting youngsters on tour and a real variety of styles. It is going to be a great two weeks," said Tournament Director Karl Budge.