5 Apr 2017

Johnson wants to stay put

5:02 pm on 5 April 2017

Warriors star playmaker Shaun Johnson says he has no intention of leaving the club for the Melbourne Storm next season.

Warriors' halfback Shaun Johnson speaking to media at Mount Smart Staduim, 11 May 2016.

Photo: RNZ / Claire Eastham-Farrelly

The Melbourne Storm are on the hunt for a new halfback in 2018 after last year's Dally M medal winner, Cooper Cronk, revealed he's heading to Sydney to live with his partner.

Johnson, who's currently in negotiations to renew his contract with the Warriors, has already been rumoured as a possible replacement for Cronk, but he says Melbourne doesn't appeal to him.

"When you're on social media you get made aware of pretty much anything and everything, whether it's true or false doesn't really matter does it?

"I've been tagged in numerous posts that apparently I am going there (Melbourne), so people know that before I do apparently, but no that's not isn't happening. I've been completely honest with the club (the Warriors) about my options and they know where I stand."

Johnson said if the Warriors can manage to re-sign Kieran Foran beyond the 2017 NRL season then it would all but guarantee his signature as well.

Kieran Foran warms up with Shaun Johnson. Dragons v Warriors NRL rugby league match at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah Australia. Sunday 26 March 2017.

Shaun Johnson and Kieran Foran warming up together. Photo: Photosport

Foran is also off-contract at the end of this season but is still still deciding whether he'll stay in Auckland or head back to Sydney to be closer to his two young children.

The Kiwis duo are arguably the best halves combination in the NRL and Johnson said if Foran decides to stay, he'd follow suit.

"You want to play with the best players don't you and he's definitely one of them.

"There's no secret how good of a mate he is to me, you want to play with your mates so I'm sure not just me but the club in general would love to have him on for however long he wants," Johnson said.