Google has rejected a request by the US government to reconsider its decision to keep online the clip of the anti-Islam film which has ignited protests in the Middle East.
The Internet company said it was censoring the YouTube video in India and Indonesia, and in Egypt and Libya where US embassies have been stormed by protestors enraged over the depiction of the Prophet Mohammad as a fraud and philanderer.
On Tuesday, the US Ambassador to Libya and three other Americans were killed in a fiery siege on the embassy in Benghazi.
Google said it was further restricting the clip to comply with local law rather than as a response to political pressure.
White House officials had asked Google earlier on Friday to reconsider whether the video had violated YouTube's terms of service. Google said on Wednesday that the video was within its guidelines.
A man suspected of being involved in making in the film is being questioned by US probation officers.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, an Egyptian Coptic Christian living in Southern California, has denied involvement, the BBC reports.