One of the main suspects in the brutal killing of a soldier in London was arrested in Kenya more than two years ago for seeking terror training.
Michael Adebolajo was pictured on the front page of several newspapers in the dock of a Kenyan court a day after he was arrested on 22 November 2010.
He was released and deported to Britain after appearing in court in Mombasa with six other men.
A Kenyan government spokesman told the BBC he was believed to have been preparing to fight with the al-Shabab group and was later deported.
al-Shabab is affiliated to al-Qaeda and is thought to have 7000 - 9000 fighters. It killed 76 people in a double bomb attack in Uganda as they watched the 2010 World Cup.
On Wednesday in London, Drummer Lee Rigby, 25, was run over and then attacked with machetes outside Woolwich Barracks.
Two men arrested on suspicion of murder at the scene are in custody in hospital. Michael Adebolajo, 28, and Michael Adebowale, 22, were shot by police.
The total number of arrests in the case is now nine.
The Kenyan government previously denied that Mr Adebolajo had ever visited the country, but a spokesman said there had been some confusion as he was arrested under a different name.
In video footage of the court appearance which emerged on Sunday, he is heard to say: "These people are mistreating us, we are innocent."