Officials from North and South Korea on Sunday agreed to hold their first high-level meeting since 2007.
The Yonhap news agency said the talks are due to take place in Seoul on Wednesday and Thursday.
South Korean President Park Geun-hye has said she wants to build trust after a period of intense hostility under the previous administration in Seoul.
A South Korean spokesman said the talks in Panmunjom went smoothly and "without any argument".
The Unification Ministry in Seoul said the two sides had reached a partial understanding on outstanding issues.
The Central News Agency of North Korea said the main point of discussion would be restoring suspended commercial links, particularly the Kaesong joint commercial zone which was shut down by the North in April as tensions escalated.
AAP reports other issues for discussion are the reunion of separated families and their relatives and other humanitarian issues.
Ties between the two Koreas deteriorated earlier this year after a nuclear test by the North on 12 February.