Eleven people in Cuba are dead and more than 60 are in hospital after consuming toxic industrial methanol sold as rum.
State media said the poisoning emerged on Monday in Havana after wood alcohol was stolen from a warehouse and then passed off as the national drink.
Three people have been arrested.
Cuban media have since been filled with stories related to the poisoning and warnings to people to watch what they drink, including graphic medical descriptions of how methyl alcohol can quickly make people blind.
Some survivors have said the phony rum tasted so bad they took only a few sips.