A man has been charged with the murder of South Australian schoolgirl Louise Bell, who has not been seen since she was abducted from her Adelaide bedroom 30 years ago..
Dieter Pfennig, 65, faced Port Lincoln Magistrates Court via video link with Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday and was remanded in custody. He is due back in court early next year.
Louise Bell was 10 when she was taken in January 1983.
Deputy Commissioner Grant Stevens told the ABC evidence has been reviewed over the past couple of years.
He says forensic advances played a key role in the breakthrough after three decades of investigation.
"Louise's family remain devastated by her disappearance and remain hopeful that her remains will one day be found."
There was a $A200,000 reward on offer in South Australia for information leading to an arrest in the case.
Last year, police spent two days searching an Adelaide backyard for clues using what they said was new forensic technology.
A man who was convicted of the murder in 1984 was released from jail after the conviction was overturned.