6 Jan 2014

Last meal in Bali for Queensland pair was fish

7:02 am on 6 January 2014

Relatives of a Queensland woman and her daughter who died suddenly while on holiday in Bali say all they know is that the pair ate a fish meal before their deaths.

Noelene Gay Bischoff, 54, and Yvana Jeana Yuri Bischoff, 14, arrived on the Indonesian holiday island from the Sunshine Coast and checked into a resort on Friday.

Less than 24 hours later, after eating dinner at the Buddha Restaurant, both fell sick and contacted hotel staff for help.

Ms Bischoff died en route to the Bali International Medical Clinic early on Saturday and her daughter died a short time later.

The ABC reports their relatives in Australia cannot comprehend the tragedy.

Ms Bischoff's brother-in-law Kevin Bowe said the circumstances are still not clear to him.

"Yesterday was a hell of a shock but over the day and last night we managed to come to grips with it," he said. "It'd be nice to get decent answers."

He said a report from the Department of Foreign Affairs suggests the pair died from eating fish.

"We've been told it is fish they've eaten ... that was the report from DFAT," he said.

Mr Bowe said the two often went on holidays together and had just arrived in Bali for a two week holiday together.

Ms Bischoff worked as a nurse at the Caloundra hospital and cared for her mother while raising her daughter as a single parent. Yvana had just finished Year Seven.

"(Yvana) was effervescent, plenty of life. Educated and had everything planned," he said.

Restaurant denies food to blame

The manager of the restaurant in Bali where the pair had dinner has denied the food is to blame.

Giovanni Bareato told the ABC the restaurant was full of people eating similar dishes to the ones the women were having.

He said he has not heard of anyone complaining about feeling ill, and the cause of death could be a food allergy.

A senior police officer told AAP on Saturday the doctor at the clinic suspected a food allergy.

"What kind of food, we don't know. All the medicines are from abroad," he said.

"The vomit and medicines have been taken to (a) forensic laboratory."

The ABC reports the family have given permission for an autopsy, and the bodies are now at Sanglah Hospital.