Violent protests have broken out in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro less than two months before the South American country hosts football's World Cup.
The unrest started after a man was killed by police who reportedly mistook him for a drug trafficker.
The BBC reports gunfire could be heard in the unrest which comes less than two months before Brazil hosts the Cup.
One man was shot dead during the violence on Tuesday night, local media quoted officials as saying and a 12-year-old boy was also reportedly wounded.
Witnesses said cars were set ablaze, a police station was attacked and gunfire could be heard from the Pavao-Pavaozinho favela.
The protests were sparked by the death of a 26-year-old local man, named as Douglas Rafael da Silva.
The professional dancer was reportedly found dead inside a school earlier on Tuesday.
According to his family, his body was covered in wounds and they accused local police of beating him to death after mistaking him for a member of a local drugs gang.
The circumstances surrounding his death are under investigation, AFP news agency quoted police as saying.
"An on-site report indicates Douglas's injuries are compatible with a death caused by a fall," the police statement said.
Amnesty International says some 2,000 people die every year in Brazil due to police violence.
Huge crowds, demanding an explanation for the death, gathered near the entrance to the favela, which is just a few streets away from Rio's famous beaches and tourist hot-spots.
The World Cup will begin in Sao Paulo on 12 June and will end with the final in Rio's famous Maracana stadium on 13 July.