1 Nov 2016

Bodies of Dreamworld victims released to families

7:03 am on 1 November 2016

The bodies of four people killed at the Dreamworld theme park on the Gold Coast last week have been released to families for burial, Queensland police have confirmed.

People hug outside Dreamworld after four people were killed at the Queensland theme park.

People hug outside Dreamworld after four people were killed at the Queensland theme park. Photo: AFP

New Zealander Cindy Low and Australians Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett and his partner Roozbeh Araghi died when their raft on the Thunder River Rapids ride flipped over on Tuesday afternoon last week.

Two children who were also in the raft survived the accident.

Queensland Police Service (QPS) said, in a statement yesterday, post-mortem examinations had been concluded.

The QPS is continuing to investigate the fatal accident on behalf of the coroner.

"At the conclusion of investigations police will submit a comprehensive report to the coroner," the statement said.

"As this is a coronial investigation, police are not able to provide investigative updates."

Police said they would advise the media when investigations and examinations at Dreamworld were complete.

But a report for the coroner is still expected to take some time.

Earlier on Monday, police were seen removing rafts from the Thunder River Rapids ride as part of their ongoing investigation.

Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson also announced 200 staff had returned to work as part of a "cautious and staged" recovery.

Craig Davidson, CEO of Dreamworld

Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson the theme park would not reopen until after the funerals of the four people killed. Photo: AFP

He said it was optional for staff to return to work on Monday.

"Staff who are at work today are here because they want to be," he said on Monday.

"Returning to work has not been compulsory. It is for those staff who want to come back and help the park and support their colleagues."

Mr Davidson said last week Dreamworld would not reopen until funerals had been held for all four people who were killed.

- BBC

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs