23 Jan 2017

Vigil for Melbourne car rampage victims

8:18 am on 23 January 2017

A vigil will be held in Melbourne tonight for the victims of a car rampage which killed five people - including two children.

Matthew Si and Jess Muddie were among the five people killed in Bourke St, Melbourne.

Matthew Si and Jess Muddie were among the five people killed in Bourke St, Melbourne. Photo: Supplied / Victoria Police

A man drove his car at speed onto the footpath in Bourke Street on Friday afternoon.

Victoria premier Daniel Andrews said the vigil in Federation Square tonight was a way for the community to stand together and show support for the victims.

The suspected driver, 26-year-old Dimitrious Gargasoulas, who had a violent criminal history, is expected to face several murder charges.

He was shot and injured by the police and remains in hospital.

The police were still waiting for medical clearance to interview and charge him.

Meanwhile, the names of two more of the five people killed have been released.

They were Jess Mudie, 22, and Matthew Si, 33.

Ms Mudie's family released a statement expressing the loss of their "dearest and most badass daughter and sister, Jess".

The family paid tribute to a young woman of "extravagant humour" who was "headstrong and assertive" and "such a bright bubble of joy".

"You will always be a part of us and are one of the strongest people we know," the statement said.

"We thank everyone for their condolences but would appreciate this time together to grieve privately."

Mr Si's wife, Melinda, remembered her "devoted husband" as a loving father, brother and son.

Mr and Mrs Si had just finished having lunch together in the city and had just parted to go back to their offices when Mr Si was struck.

On behalf of Mr Si's family, Mrs Si thanked everyone who had helped him at the scene and who did their best to save him.

She said their family were "shattered" and requested that their privacy be respected.

Three others died as a result of the incident, including 10-year-old Thalia Hakin, a three-month-old baby boy, and a 25-year-old man.

The Jewish community is holding a memorial and prayer service for Thalia on Sunday night.

A online fundraiser has also been set up to provide financial assistance to the Hakin family, which has so far seen 450 people donate more than $33,300.

Thalia's mother and sister were also injured in the attack and are recovering in hospital, The Rabbinical Council of Victoria said.

The Victorian Government set up a fund for the families affected by the incident.

It pledged an initial $100,000 and said anyone who wanted to make a donation could do via the Victorian Government's website.

-ABC

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs