23 May 2017

Manchester blast: What we know so far

6:57 pm on 23 May 2017

Here is what we know so far about the explosion at Ariana Grande's concert in the UK that left dozens of people dead or injured.

  • At least 22 people are dead and 59 injured, police say.
  • MFAT says there is no indication at this stage any New Zealanders have been injured in the explosion.
  • US singer Ariana Grande had just finished the concert at the Manchester Arena, which can hold 21,000 people, when the blast occurred. about 10.35pm Monday (local time). Grande was unharmed.
  • Manchester police said the attack was carried out by a man who detonated an explosive device. The man died at the scene.
  • Police are still to establish whether the man was working alone.
  • Trains stopped running at the nearby Victoria Station, which was evacuated.
  • Police warned people to stay away from the arena area.
  • Police put up a cordon around the arena, the nearby Victoria Station and Manchester Cathedral.
  • Parents turned to social media to look for their children after the blast.
  • The blast occurred on the anniversary of the murder of soldier Lee Rigby, who was hacked to death on a London street in 2013.

- Reuters / RNZ

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs