6 Jun 2017

Police release all detained over London attack

5:18 pm on 6 June 2017

British police have released the rest of those detained after the London Bridge attack without charge.

The white van used in the attack on London Bridge is hoisted on top of a flat-bed truck as police work on gathering evidence and securing the area.

British police clear the scene of the attack near London Bridge, loading the van used onto a truck. Photo: AFP

Police said they had released the final 10 people arrested on Sunday as part of the investigations into the attack, which left seven people dead and 48 injured.

Twelve people had initially been arrested, but they have now all been let go.

The Metropolitan Police also said in a statement that specialist officers were working with families and the coroner to identify those who died in the attack.

Police earlier named two of the attackers, who drove a van from London Bridge into pedestrians, then got out and began stabbing people with knives.

Injured New Zealander awake after operation

New Zealander Oliver Dowling, from Christchurch, is reported to be awake in hospital after a four-hour operation.

A post on the "Kiwis in London" Facebook page said Mr Dowling's parents and older brother were with him.

It said his girlfriend, Marie Bondeville, who was also injured in the attack, was still in a very serious condition and was being moved to another hospital.

Her family have flown from France to be with her.

The British High Commission opened a book of condolence, which will be available at the Australian High Commission in Wellington tomorrow and Thursday, and on the Auckland waterfront tomorrow.

It is also available from the British High Commission mobile office - which is travelling around New Zealand for the Lions Tour.

'Suspicious package' detonated in controlled explosion

The releases came as police in Cambridge, about an hour north of London, carried out two controlled explosions on a suspicious package left on a central street.

The item was understood to be a suitcase.

While the bomb disposal unit was on the scene, police warned students in nearby accommodation to stay well clear of their windows, and to remain indoors where possible.

Today was the first day of an increased armed police presence in Cambridge following the terrorist attacks in Manchester and London.

Chief Constable of Cambridgeshire Police Alec Wood said there would continue to be a heightened visible policing presence across the county.

Cambridge University tweeted that King's Parade and Market Square were cordoned off as a precaution after a suitcase was found on the street.

Molotov cocktails found - reports

British police found what appeared to be Molotov cocktails in the back of the van used by the three militants.

Sky News has reported at least a dozen bottles filled with clear liquid, which had rags stuffed in their tops, were found in the back of the hired van.

It said police had treated them as though they were petrol bombs.

New Zealand MPs pay tribute

New Zealand MPs have paid tribute in Parliament to the victims of the recent terror attacks.

Deputy Prime Minister Paula Bennett said Parliament stood united with London and pledged to continue to work with the international community to combat terrorism.

She said thoughts were especially with New Zealander Mr Dowling.

Other party leaders also spoke in support of the motion to condemn the attack.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs