21 Aug 2017

Australian boy among Barcelona attack victims

11:22 am on 21 August 2017

Sydney seven-year-old Julian Cadman died in last week's terror attack at Las Ramblas in central Barcelona, his family have confirmed, ending days of uncertainty over his fate.

Julian Cadman was separated from his mother during the van attack.

Julian Cadman, seven, was separated from his mother during the van attack on Thursday. Photo: Supplied

Thirteen people died after a van was driven down the world famous Spanish boulevard at high speed.

After days of appealing for information about his fate, Julian's family have now confirmed he was one of the victims.

"Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family," the family said in a statement overnight.

"As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us."

Julian's mother Jumarie, known as Jom, was also seriously hurt in the assault. She is still being treated in a Barcelona hospital.

The family said they would remember Julian as an "energetic, funny and cheeky" child who could always bring a smile to their faces.

"We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts," the statement said.

"We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian. Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time.

"We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected."

In a statement, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said she was "deeply saddened" to confirm the boy's death.

Julian was a dual citizen of Australia and the United Kingdom.

In a tweet, UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: "I send my sincerest sympathies to the family of Julian Cadman and all those who loved him. His death is a tragedy."

Ms Cadman and her son had travelled to Barcelona to attend her niece's wedding.

In addition to the 13 killed on Thursday afternoon on Las Ramblas, a woman died in a second vehicle attack early on Friday in the town of Cambrils. Five suspected jihadists were shot dead by police in the second attack.

Spanish police are still hunting for the driver of the van.

- ABC

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs