19 Feb 2012

Dozens hurt in Thai hotel chlorine leak

7:34 am on 19 February 2012

More than 30 people, many of them foreign tourists, have been rushed to hospital on the Thai resort island of Phuket after a chlorine leak at a hotel swimming pool.

Police said the accident occurred shortly after 10am at the Phuket Orchid Resort and Spa hotel on Karon beach.

Chief investigator Lieutenant Colonel Chavalit Pethsripia said more than 30 people suffered minor injuries, none of them serious, after they were exposed to an unhealthily high level of chlorine in the pool.

The leak caused skin irritation and sore eyes, according to director Phumin Silapan at the local Patong hospital.

"There are 37 people hospitalised, including 26 foreigners," he said, adding that 12 had been discharged while 25 were referred to a larger hospital.

One of those referred was a pregnant tourist who had breathing difficulties after inhaling the chemical, he said.