Chicken Dumplings with White Wine and Greens
(Serves 4 - 6)
- 600g finely diced, skinned boned free range chicken thighs
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- flour for dusting
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried wild Greek or Sicilian oregano, or 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 medium floury potatoes, peeled and diced 2 cm
- 1 cup peas
- a handful of rocket leaves
Put the chicken thighs, 3 of the cloves of garlic, the egg and breadcrumbs into a food processor and season well with salt and pepper.
Process until smooth. Remove from the processor and, with wet hands, shape into 12 small patties.
Dust them all with flour.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat and fry the patties until lightly browned on each side. Remove from the pan and reserve.
Wipe the pan out with paper towels and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
Add the onion, celery, oregano or marjoram and the remaining finely chopped clove of garlic. Fry gently over moderate heat until the onion is soft.
Turn up the heat, add the wine and let it bubble. Add the stock, potatoes and the reserved chicken dumplings. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Uncover and add the peas and rocket. Bring to the boil, simmer 3 - 4 minutes, taste and season with salt and pepper.
Suggested wines to complement this recipe
Millton Te Arai Merlot Rose 2008