Greenlip Mussels With Tomato And Sweet Corn Salsa
Make sure you use fresh mussels to do this dish justice. The key is using good quality ingredients to create tasty food.
(Serves 2 persons as a entree)
- 16-18 Live Greenlip mussels (available at most supermarkets)
- 100g Marlborough Shallots or Onion
- 2 cloves Marlborough Garlic
- 4 T White wine Vinegar
- 4 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large ripe Tomatoes
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 1 lemon juiced and ½ t finely chopped rind
- 1 Cob of Fresh corn or one small tin of whole corn kernels
Chop onions and garlic finely and sweat (cook till without color) for five minutes. Add Sweet corn kernels and cook for a further one minute, add vinegar, olive oil and parsley, lemon juice and rind. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add to onion mixture. Season with black pepper. You will not have to add salt as the mussels will be salty themselves.
In a medium size pan with a tight fitting lid, place washed and de-bearded mussels and cook on a high heat, shaking the pot until they are all are open. If you have some mussels that do not open then discard them. Drain off half of the liquid in the bottom of the pot and then mix in tomato and sweet corn salsa and serve in a large platter with a bowl of water to clean your fingers with.