Mediterranean Fisherman's Pie
- 1.2 kg (6 medium-sized) unpeeled waxy potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing the potatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 x 400-g cans chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup salted capers, rinsed and drained (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 700 g skinless, boneless white fish fillets, cut in large pieces
1. Heat oven to 200 °C. Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for 10-15 minutes to partially cook. Drain well and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, thinly slice the potatoes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and spring onions and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes to soften but not brown. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 minutes to reduce liquid. Add herbs and capers, if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Arrange the pieces of fish to cover the base of a deep-sided baking dish. Spoon over the prepared tomato sauce. Arrange the sliced potatoes in rows to cover the filling.
4. Drizzle or brush the potatoes with oil. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until potato topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Credit: Reprinted with permission from Made By Hand, published by Penguin Group NZ, Copyright © Julie Le Clerc 2010