6 Jan 2012

American Samoa tax refund to go to unpaid fines

4:14 pm on 6 January 2012

American Samoa residents with outstanding traffic and other fines with the District Court may see their tax refund cheque used to off-set any outstanding debts to the court.

Tax payers in American Samoa can receive a refund in tax paid in the previous calender year, if the person qualifies.

District Court staff are preparing a list of all persons with outstanding fines, costs and bench warrant fees which will be forward to the Treasurer and Tax Office this week.

District Court Judge John Ward II says the court staff prepares this list every year and makes it available to the Treasurer.