9 Aug 2012

Company fined following workplace incident

12:08 pm on 9 August 2012

An Auckland company has been fined nearly $100,000 following a near-fatal incident.

The Auckland Pack & Cool employee's breathing equipment malfunctioned while he was in a cool-store in July last year.

He fell unconscious from a lack of oxygen and was revived before spending three days in hospital.

The company has been fined more than $84,000 and ordered to pay about $12,000 in reparation for failing to take all practical steps to ensure the man's safety.

In a statement, the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment says the company did not provide the man with the correct breathing equipment.

It says the manufacturer's instructions clearly stated the equipment should not be used in an oxygen-deficient environment.