The High Court has rejected a request by Auckland lawyer Barry Hart to let him practise until his appeal against a decision to strike him off the register of lawyers.
The Law Society's Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal found Mr Hart guilty last month of three counts of professional misconduct.
His appeal against that decision will be heard in December.
Mr Hart had asked the court to let him continue to represent current clients until then.
But the Law Society opposed his request, saying he'd been found guilty of serious misconduct and could pose a risk to clients.
Justice Lang agreed with the society and rejected the request on Wednesday afternoon.
He said it would be impossible to stop Mr Hart taking on more clients, or to monitor him on a daily basis to safeguard the public.
The Law Society says it is satisfied with the outcome. Mr Hart could not be reached for comment.