24 Sep 2013

Man electrocuted after scaling power pole

5:45 pm on 24 September 2013

A man was electrocuted by a high voltage transformer after scaling a pole in the Far North.

Firefighters and paramedics were called to West Coast Road near Motukaraka, just west of Kohukohu, on Sunday night.

Fire Service officer Colin Kitchen says the man apparently had a domestic dispute, climbed the pole and was electrocuted by 11,000 volts.

Top Energy chief executive Russell Shaw says a second person, believed to be his girlfriend, sustained electrical burns trying to rescue him.

He says 32 customers were still without power but the company hoped to replace the damaged equipment on Tuesday.