Three months ago flight MH370 disappeared without a trace, causing devastation for the families of those onboard, including New Zealander Paul Weeks.
The 38-year-old old mechanical engineer, formerly from Christchurch, was flying from Perth to a new mining job in Mongolia.
His wife Danica and their two young sons Lincoln and Jack had said goodbye to him when he left Perth, bound for Asia.
While he was waiting to board Flight MH370 in Kuala Lumpur, Paul texted Danica to say he was missing his family already. That was the last she heard from him.
Danica Weeks told Nine to Noon from her home in Perth it was devastating to find out last week that the area of the southern Indian Ocean thought to contain wreckage of the missing plane had now been ruled out as the crash site
She spoke of the heartbreak of having to tell three-year-old Lincoln and one-year-old Jack that their father won't be coming back.
Danica Weeks said the waiting and wondering was a daily struggle, and although she has contact with a Malaysia Airlines family liaison caregiver, that is cold comfort.
She said she was determined to fight for transparency from the airline, saying families needed closure so they could grieve.
Setback in search
There's been no explanation for the disappearance of the Boeing 777, and last week searchers had another setback.
The search of the southern Indian Ocean was narrowed last month after a series of acoustic pings, thought to be from the plane's black box recorders, were heard near where analysis of satellite data put its last location, some 1600 km off the northwest coast of Australia.
But last Thursday, Australian officials said wreckage from the aircraft was not on the seabed in the area they had identified.
However the head of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Martin Dolan, said he was still "confident" that the final resting place of the aircraft was the Indian Ocean.
"We don't know what those pings were," he told Reuters. "We are still analysing those signals to understand them better."