New Zealand Football are in final discussions for the All Whites to be part of a four-team tournament in India in June.
Reports out of India on Sunday morning (NZ time) suggested the national men's team's place in the tournament, alongside South Africa, Chinese Taipei and hosts India was locked in.
New Zealand Football confirmed to RNZ they were hoping to be part of the tournament, but said they are still in final discussions with relation to the All Whites' involvement.
The national body said they are hoping they would be able to confirm the team's participation in the tournament during the next few days.
Organised to strengthen India's preparation for next year's AFC Asian Cup, the tournament is set to run from June 1-10, finishing four days before the Fifa World Cup starts in Russia.
The period is not an official international window, meaning some All Whites' may not be available to take part.
Players in Europe, such as English Premier League stars Chris Wood and Winston Reid and Dutch top league midfielder Ryan Thomas, could play given their seasons finish in early and mid-May.
But those playing in the MLS in the US, such as No 1 goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic, midfielder Bill Tuiloma and former captain Tommy Smith and fellow defenders Deklan Wynne and Kip Colvey, might not be able to participate.
The MLS regular season, which started early last month, runs through until the end of October.
The All Whites last month played their first match since losing to Peru over two legs in November in an intercontinental playoff for this year's World Cup, losing 1-0 to Canada in a friendly in Spain.
Played behind-closed-doors, the game was the first for the team under new coach Fritz Schmid and the squad was largely made up of younger and inexperienced players.