4 May 2015

Facebook confirms Nauru site block

8:07 pm on 4 May 2015

The Facebook administration has confirmed that site data indicates it has been blocked in Nauru despite denials from the Nauru government.

Last week the government announced it was blocking pornography sites, prompting opposition claims it had shut down Facebook.

Facebook on a computer and mobile phone

Photo: 123RF

The government denies this but concedes some social media sites may have been blocked temporarily.

In a statement this morning Facebook says it has been aware of the issue since Friday.

" We believe that restricting access to a free and open internet deprives people of important economic and social opportunities and choices and hope that access will be restored soon."

Facebook says the site's terms of use specifically prohibit the use of its services to distribute pornography.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs