13 Jun 2017

Ben Edwards of Lyttelton Records

From Jesse Mulligan, 1–4pm, 2:20 pm on 13 June 2017
29062016 Photo RNZ / Rebekah Parsons-King. Ben Edwards in his studio, The Sitting Room in Lyttelton.

Photo: RNZ / Rebekah Parsons-King

Ben Edwards has become one of the most sought after producers in the country. He's helped create award-winning albums for Tami Neilson, Marlon Williams and Delaney Davidson, and has been instrumental in bringing artists such as Nadia Reid and Aldous Harding to international attention.

The studio he uses is nothing special, in fact it's an old garage, albeit, highly modified so that it resembles a living or sitting room. It's a fairly low-fi environment also fairly low-tech compared to many others, but Ben tries to create a real family atmosphere where artist feel safe to express themselves.

And it seems to be working. Now his studio and record company are starting to attract attention overseas. Ironic for someone who admits he didn't set out to become a big-time record producer. Initially all he wanted to do was to work with his friends and help them. He wasn't looking for rising stars, or any stars, just friends to help.

These days though, only about 25% of his work now comes from Canterbury and, of the remaining 75%, about half are from overseas so he is busier than he ever imagined.

29062016 Photo RNZ / Rebekah Parsons-King. L-R Marlon Williams and Ben Edwards in studio at The Sitting Room in Lyttelton.

Photo: RNZ / Rebekah Parsons-King

Related Stories