Opposition MPs have pressed the Education Minister to explain exactly when the Government started planning its failed class sizes policy.
The Government dropped the policy last month but MPs would not let it rest when Hekia Parata appeared before Parliament's Education and Science Select Committee on Wednesday.
Labour and Green MPs queried various aspects of the policy, but questions from Labour MP Chris Hipkins sparked a testy exchange.
He wanted to know if the Government began work on the policy before last year's election.
Ms Parata said that was the previous government and she did not know what it had done.
She objected to the line of questioning but then agreed to provide information about the previous government's work.
Ms Parata later told Radio New Zealand News the class size issue is over.
But Mr Hipkins says the Government has not been honest and there will be more to come.