The aftermath of the 7.8 earthquake so far

6:26 pm on 18 November 2016

A convoy of 27 army trucks carrying essential supplies has arrived in quake-hit Kaikoura, which has been cut off since Monday's 7.8 magnitude earthquake.

Wellington Mayor Justin Lester, is defending decisions around quake damage in the CBD.

GNS Science has dropped the odds of a magnitude 7 or greater earthquake in the next month to 24 percent, down from 30 percent. But it says people should still be braced for large aftershocks, with a 95 percent chance of a quake of a magnitude 5 to 5.9 over the next day.

Key facts:

  • A 7.8 magnitude earthquake at a depth of 15km struck near Hanmer Springs at 12.02am on Monday.
  • There have been two confirmed deaths and more than 20 injuries.
  • The inland road route into Kaikoura has been partially re-opened, for military vehicles.
  • Emergency services are aware of the risk of another earthquake and are "ready to go" in Wellington, Fire Service spokesperson Brendan Nally says.
  • Engineers have deemed three buildings in the central city unsafe: 61 Molesworth Street, Statistics House and a parking building near Reading Cinema on Courtenay Place. Another 16 are on a list of buildings of concern.
  • The government has announced a relief package for businesses in and around Kaikoura.