1 Mar 2017

Union fights to keep Cadbury factory jobs

7:22 am on 1 March 2017

The union for workers at Dunedin's Cadbury factory will meet its members today, in the first of three days of consultation meetings.

Cadbury

Dunedin's Cadbury factory. Photo: rnz

Cadbury's owner, Mondelez International, announced earlier this month its proposal to close the factory next year, which could affect more than 360 jobs.

The company plans to move production to its existing Australian sites.

A spokesperson said the company had invested $80 million in the site over the past 10 years, but 70 percent of Dunedin's products were exported across some of the most expensive transport routes in the world.

E tū union spokesman Neville Donaldson said he would meet with workers today, then Mondelez tomorrow and Friday.

He would speak to the company about alternative options to keep the factory open and avoid redundancies, he said.

Mr Donaldson said earlier the union had to assume Mondelez was committed to the consultation process on hearing options to save the factory.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs