At least eight civilian women have been killed and others injured in a NATO air-strike in eastern Afghanistan.
President Hamid Karzai has strongly condemned the deaths and sent officials to the area to investigate.
Earlier on Sunday, four US soldiers with the NATO forces were killed in an attack by suspected Afghan police, the BBC reports.
NATO has conceded that between five and eight civilians died as it targeted insurgents on Sunday and offered condolences.
Afghan officials in Laghman province say local women were in the mountains early on Sunday to gather firewood, but came under attack.
A spokesperson for NATO-led troops says aircraft did open fire in the area, targeting a group of some 45 insurgents and killing a large number of them.
Major Adam Wojack says they had also become aware between five and eight Afghan civilians may have been inadvertently killed in the operation.