Grilled Eggplant wth Walnut Sauce
- 2 large firm ripe eggplants
- oil for brushing eggplants
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- a few sprigs of lemon thyme
For the Walnut Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1½ cups water
- 2-3 teaspoons crushed fennel seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- lemon juice to taste
Cut the eggplants into 2cm slices, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and lemon thyme. Heat the barbecue or grill and cook the eggplant slices gently until golden brown and slightly softened.
To make the walnut sauce, briefly process the walnuts, garlic and breadcrumbs in a food processor until everything has a texture of fine crumbs. With the motor running, gradually pour in about 1 cup of the water, then stop and scrape down the sides. Check the consistency and, if you want it thinner, add more water. Stir in the fennel seeds, seasoning, yoghurt (if used), mint and lemon juice.
To serve, place three to four slices on each plate and pour over a little sauce. Cover and refrigerate until needed.