Smoky Chilli Beans
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 x 400g cans beans, drained, rinsed and drained (cannellini, borlotti, Spanish butter beans etc.)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Few pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 dried smoky chilli, halved (or ½ tsp chilli powder or smoked paprika)
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups very hot water
- 1 Tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
Preheat slow-cooker for 15-20 minutes. Put onion in a small frying pan with oil and cook gently for 7-10 minutes until tender and lightly golden.
Put beans in a sieve and rinse under running water. Transfer to slow-cooker.
Add onion, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, chilli (or chilli powder or smoked paprika). Stir, then add tomatoes and water.
Cook for 3 hours on HIGH. Season beans with salt.
Mash some of the mixture with a potato mixture to thicken liquid.
Add parsley and serve as soup with crunchy hunks of bread.
Mix in last night’s leftover boiled potatoes or cooked rice for last 30 minutes to heat through, or serve over steaming freshly cooked rice or baby potatoes.