Students in PNG who committed criminal acts during recent unrest will not be allowed to continue with their studies.
That's according to the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Papua New Guinea's University of Technology in Lae which is to resume classes on 29 August.
Ora Renagi said investigations into the unrest, which resulted in the death of one student and the burning down of several campus buildings, may see some students expelled from the university.
"The students have in their constitution to raise issues on national matters and they have that right, particularly those that have engaged in criminal activities.
"Those are the ones that are going to be looked at," said Dr Renagi.
Dr Renagi said the university management was speaking with police and security firms about security and would sign a memorandum of understanding with Lae Police in a couple of weeks.
Reconciliation ceremony planned for September
A reconciliation with the students is planned for 16 September.
The academic board said students would be expected on the campus on 24 August for registration.
Two weeks would be set aside for revision after the interrupted studies of the first semester following by a week of exams from 12 September.
The second semester will begin on 26 September and examinations will start at the beginning of December.
The University of PNG is expected to meet this Friday to discuss the recommencement of its classes after earlier declaring the remainder of the 2016 academic year had been cancelled.
Unitech students in May joined a class boycott instigated by University of PNG students who were trying to force Prime Minister Peter O'Neill to stand down over fraud allegations.
There were later violent clashes on the campus resulting in the death of a student and the destruction of Unitech property.