About 40,000 homeowners in quake areas of Waimakariri and Selwyn have been given the all-clear to stay and repair their homes.
After the two large aftershocks on 13 June, many areas of Christchurch and neighbouring districts had to be reassessed for damage before the Government would confirm whether or not people could stay there.
Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says geotechnical engineers have so far found the white-zoned areas in Waimakariri and Selwyn are stable enough for people to live on.
This means residents won't need to abandon their homes and can start to repair any earthquake damage.
Mr Brownlee says residents should receive letters confirming their new green zone status on Monday.
The thousands of white-zoned residents living on the Port Hills should get some answers about their land next month.
The minister also announced a contract for demolishing the 11-storey Copthorne Hotel has been signed, and work should begin next week. It will take up to three months.