31 Aug 2009

Pot left on stove leads to fire death

1:09 pm on 31 August 2009

A Whangarei man who died in a house fire at the weekend had been trying to cook a meal after a night out, a fire safety officer says.

The man, in his late 20s, died early on Sunday morning in a Housing Corporation unit in the suburb of Otangarei.

Fire Safety Officer, Craig Bain, says it appears the man returned home after a night out drinking, put a pot on the stove, but fell asleep. His body was found by a bedroom window.

Mr Bain says it seems the smoke alarm did not wake the man in time for him to escape the house.

Mr Bain says the fatality is the latest of many house fires in Northland, caused by people trying to cook after drinking alcohol.