15 Jan 2010

Fire breaks out in chimpanzee cave

4:36 pm on 15 January 2010

A group of chimpanzees had a lucky escape after a fire broke out in their heated cave at Wellington Zoo.

The alarm was raised after smoke was reported coming from the chimp shelter on Friday, zoo operations manager Mauritz Basson says.

Mr Basson says the fire was triggered by an electrical fault, which has since been fixed.

The chimps were outside at the time and were not harmed.

However, Mr Basson says they look happy to get their warm cave back - particularly with the cold weather in Wellington at present.