A Nelson policeman has been praised for risking his life to save a man inside a garage filling up with poisonous gas.
Inspector Steve Greally says the officer was called on Thursday night to a garage where a man was inside a running vehicle, with the garage door locked.
The officer broke a window to get in and dragged the man out.
Inspector Greally says the garage was full of carbon monoxide and the officer had to take gasps of fresh air from the broken window during the rescue.
He was treated in hospital and is now at home.
Inspector Greally said his actions saved a man's life.