The Australian pace bowler Ryan Harris has retired from cricket due to injury just days before he was due to play in the Ashes.
Test captain Michael Clarke labelled Ryan Harris "as good as anyone who has played for Australia."
The 35-year-old quit the squad four days before the first Ashes Test against England in Cardiff after scans on his injury-prone knee showed he would need another lengthy recovery.
"I've said through my career that he is my number one pick bowler in any team I've played with," Clarke said.
"Every time I've asked him to do a job for me he's done it, I think if I asked him to run through a brick wall for me he would have a crack at it."
Harris, who played in 27 Tests and racked up 113 wickets, will be replaced in the squad by Pat Cummins but the Sydneysider is unlikely to play in the first of the five Ashes Tests.
Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc look poised to get the nod as the seamers alongside Mitchell Johnson after both impressed in the 169-run victory over county side Essex that concluded on Saturday.
Australia also easily beat Kent last month.