Wellington College scandal: Legal action taken over boys' identities

8:09 pm on 10 March 2017

Lawyers for the boys at the centre of a controversy over comments about rape have taken an injunction against RNZ over any details leading to their identification.

Facebook screen shot

Two Wellington College students who posted about having sex with passed-out women are facing disciplinary action. Photo: 123RF

A disciplinary process against the two Wellington College students is under way.

Late this afternoon in the High Court in Wellington, Justice Clifford issued the injunction stopping publication of details not already in the public domain that could lead to their identification.

The boys had posted comments on Facebook about having sex with drunk unconscious girls.

Earlier today, students organising a protest against rape culture outside Wellington College on Monday said they had been forced to change venue after being threatened with violence by some students at the school.

In a letter to parents, Wellington College principal Roger Moses said the boys at the centre of the controversy at the school would face consequences.

He said the process was under way, and he could not yet say what would happen to them.

Mr Moses praised the boys who reported the comments to the school, saying they did the right thing and represented the best of the school's values.

In the letter, Mr Moses also said senior students and the principal of Wellington Girls College would speak at a Wellington College assembly next week.

He said the students at Wellington Girls and Wellington East Girls College were very angry and upset at what had been said.

He also said the school would strengthen its programmes aimed at educating boys about healthy relationships and consent.

Meanwhile, at St Patrick's College at Silverstream in the Hutt Valley, four Year 9 students have been suspended after posting inappropriate images of female teachers on Instagram.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs